Sunday, February 26, 2012

Independence Days Challenge 3: 02/25/2012

OK, so I said I was going to follow through on this and I am. I just don't have much this week due to the usual: work and travel. So, here it is in the short and sweet.

Planted: Planted a flat of peppers and one of tomatoes. The peppers are up and the tomatoes are no show. This is odd. I will give the latter one more week before I realize the company I bought the seed from is probably not reputable. I also transplanted the tomatoes seedlings I planted as an experiment using the dense seed method. They are doing great!

Harvested: Eggs only this week (2 dozen)

Preserved: Uh! The weeks are already starting to blend together. I believe last weekend I preserved a 1/2 dozen half-pints jars of blood orange marmalade. It was suppose to be sauce (since the last try at marmalade made sauce), but I actually got perfect marmalade! I also filtered the vodka/Meyer lemon fusion and made the syrup to start the aging process for Limoncello!

Waste Not: Working hard, very hard, in getting the boys to not waste food. Sometimes it works, sometimes not (and, more often, the chickens and dogs eat really well!) Also,the usual Rs.

Want Not: Stored nothing this week. I also did not thrift shop (gasp!) or buy any books. I guess in not shopping or eating out while on the road, I get to store the per diem money.

Eat the Food: Black bean chili (pantry items), peach crisp (using the rest of the granola I made two weeks ago and my own canned peaches), eggs in many forms.

Build Community: Sadly, I was not a part of a community this past week. I was transient.

2 comments:

Judy T said...

I can't imagine how hard it must be to be traveling so much when you're trying to do this. So, I think you get double credit for everything you accomplish.
Judy

Gina said...

Thanks, Judy!