Thursday, March 15, 2012

Springtime in Kentucky

I can say, right off the top, I really need to break out my camera.

Springtime in Kentucky is beyond beautiful. For work, I had to take a short trip to central KY yesterday and, with the blue skies, greening mountains and blooming trees, I was truly in love. This love, however, is kicking me in the butt. I don't recall having allergies as a child. I loved the outdoors and spent much time in the woods. I climbed trees, laid in tall grasses watching clouds, and romped through my mom's flower beds. Surely I would recall having miseries associated with pollen.

Now, in my middle years, I have suddenly developed horrible, horrible pollen allergies (or so I assume). I have been so sick the last few days. At first I thought it was a cold that just wouldn't go away, but now I am convinced it is indeed the wicked histamine. My throat hurts, my head hurts, my ears hurt. My eyes are burning and puffed up.

For the most part, the flora down here is the very same I grew up with and I have never had extreme reactions to it. Bradford pears are everywhere here, but I am ruling them out. The culprit I am considering is the gorgeous Magnolia. It's definitely more widespread than back home.

Whatever it is I hope it ends when reproductive season has commenced. I feel absolutely crappy!

No comments: