Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sweet Spicy Zucchini Relish


I haven't really posted for Independence Days Challenge in weeks (maybe months), but I did finally get around to canning something. The Something would be the plethora of zucchini my garden is producing. I have made zucchini relish in the past and we use quite a bit of it: condiment, potato salad flavoring, on sandwiches and in deviled eggs. This one, though, is a new (to me) recipe. This chutney starts out sweet and gradually gets a bit spicy.

First:

10 cups of shredded zucchini (I used three or four big ones-the ones that get huge before you realize they are lurking beneath the leaves.)

2-3 bell peppers, shredded (I used one red and the rest green, basically whatever I could glean from the garden)

1-2 shredded hot peppers (or more if you like it really spicy-I think I actually added 4)

2 onions, shredded

(I used my food processor and just shredded it all at once. Love, love, love my food processor!)

Place shredded veggies in a large bowl and add:

5 Tablespoons of salt

Mix up and leave overnight (around 12-24 hours; I like to hurry a recipe.)

Second:

The next day (or at least 12 hours later), place veggie mixture in colander and rinse well. Let it drain.

Place mixture in large pan.

Add:

3.5 cups of vinegar
3.5 cups of sugar (oh, this amount can be adjusted somewhat if you prefer less sugar)

Adjustable ingredients:

1 teas celery seed
1 teas turmeric
2 teas garden seasoning (or additional spices of your choice)
1 teas of coarse black pepper
1-2 teas of ground mustard

Heat to boiling and simmer for 30 minutes. Prepare canning jars (sterilize) and rings.(There are lots of books and online instructions out there for canning and I highly recommend learning to do it!)
Place relish in jars to 1/4 inch head space and boiling water can for 10 minutes.

Here is where I admit why I hardly ever post recipes. I am too much of a cooking rebel!
So, if my instructions are too hard to follow, try this recipe and just add the shredded hot peppers!

No comments: