Sunday, February 3, 2013

Thrift Share Sunday

Some of you may have seen my thrift finds from the challenge I undertook on Friday. It was inspired by the hit song 'Thrift Shop" (Macklemore and Ryan Lewis) and it was helluva fun to thrift with only $20 in my pocket! Check out the blog Young House Love for other participants. many had never (ever!) thrift shopped before! I especially love the one where the person found a shirt they loved, but wanted to wash it 15X before wearing. me? I've been known to thrift the perfect dress and wear it the same day! I do wash most thrifted items first, but if I'm really excited to wear something, I've been known to trust the old olfactory system. I guess I always think people could have tried on the clothes at the store just the same. Not that I'm judging; I guess I'm just a complete opposite of 'germ-a-phobe" frame-of-mind and find it funny! Well, I am a biologist. I guess that may have something to do with it. I know germs out number us no matter how often we wash something. Nevertheless, the challenge inspired a new crop to thrift. Hmm, I am on the fence on whether that is good or bad (my greedy side says, "Bad...")

Of course, the challenge items have not been my only thrift finds in the last couple of weeks. I thought I would purge the rest of the photos and show you the rest of my cool treasures. Most of these came from West Virginia; a few from Louisville thrifts.

I cannot resist animal planters. I've been collecting them for going on 20 years and someday I hope to thrift one of those vintage wooden half circle plant stands. I will fill that baby up with a zoo! I also snagged a great 3M racing game (Derby ready!), and a toy camera that apparently was a promotional hand-out for a Bratz movie. Check out the last photo for why I picked it up for 50c. I like to play around with these plastic cameras and this one should take really great awful photos!

 
 Deer, horse, fawns
 
blue bird, bulldog
3M Game (perfect for a Louisville residence) and a working toy camera
Sorry for the blur-just showing the used roll of film in the camera. I cannot wait to get it developed. I also found that kitty you see in the lower right. I bought her for the Etsy shop, but notice a tiny chip on one ear (I swear I checked at the store), so she is keeping my plants company for now.

Linking it up with these fun thrift share parties: Thriftasaurus, A Living Space, Apron Thrift Girl, Magpie Monday.

9 comments:

L'Heure Bleue At Home said...

The animal planters are so cute! I can see why you find them hard to resist.

Chrissy said...

oh, that little bulldog face! great haul.

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

those are some great planters! i think the silly deer is my favorite. and i hope there is something good on that roll of film! i can't wait to see!

Gina said...

Thanks, All, for your wonderful comments!

Emma@christmascupboard said...

I love the deer, so cute x

Pam Kessler said...

I just ran across a whole bunch of planters today. I vote for no more thrift store converts. I'm selfish like that :)

Melissa said...

Im with you, not sure if newbies are a good thing or not. My inner two year old comes out and I suddenly don't want to share!

Liz Burton said...

Don't think I've ever seen animal planters before. They're very cute.

Gina said...

I'm with you all: I have a hard time sharing my thrift stores! :)

There are so many different animal planters out there (I think nearly any animal!) They're quite addicting.