Remember when I said I was a challenge junkie? Well, now I have found one that is so customize for my alley, I just had to share!
My absolute favorite song right now is called "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. I first heard a snip-it of it on a Fresh Air interview with the band a few months ago and later someone posted it. All I can say is "Love!" In case you have not heard it, here's the link to the grown-up version of the song (i.e. if 'fuck' offends you, I think there is a PG version of the song as well).
Anyway, Young House Love (a really hip blog if you haven't heard of it) has schemed up with the most brilliant of all challenges: The (Completely Unofficial) Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge.
Here are the "rules":
Step #1. Go to a thrift shop with – just as the chorus of the song says – “$20 in your pocket” and take a picture.
Step #2. Spend that $20 any way you’d like and photograph your spoils.
Step #3. Find one item (or more) referenced in the song and snap a pic.
I believe they plan to have a link up (possibly today), so I plan to hit the thrifts here in a bit. I am waiting for the sun to warm things up a bit (including my frozen pipes! Eek! I blogged about it on the house blog if you're interested).
Here's how I did:
- Natural history books, a book on the history of dogs, a vintage photo album (total $2) and the cutest little Singer sewing box ($4)
- Art supplies and sweet handmade art smock ($3)
- Close-up of the fabric.
- My favorite find (and the cheapest at only 80c!). I'm not exactly Catholic, but my boys are. And I cannot resist Religionalia.
- Cute owl pillow that needs some cleaning (someone's cat loved it apparently) $2.
- Speaking of cats...$2
- And, like a hole in the head, a vintage camera for the collection ($4). No more. I mean it.
And, here are not one, but two, items referenced in the song:
"Oh hell, he got the velcro..."
"Passin' on those moccassins someone else been walkin' in..."