Saturday, March 2, 2013

Theodor Seuss Geisel

 
March 02, 1904-September 24, 1991
 
It's no secret that I have a huge crush on the late, great Theodor. In fact, in every single home I have had as an adult, I've kept a framed photo of my Ted. I believe I cut it from a magazine article I read about him the year he died (1991). I remember I was quite sad to hear of his passing; I'd been a fan since I was three.
 
Shortly after I read that he had died, I read his biography. Turns out for such a magically gifted artist, Ted experience his share of sorrow and mistakes. For example, he had an affair while married to his first wife (with the woman who became his second wife) and she killed herself (she was also mentally ill and had cancer). I also, around that time of obsession, found a book featuring some of his more adult art. It included these wonderful photographs of some of his carved fantastical taxidermy. Oh, how I wanted one! You know how some people fantasize about how they would spend a million lottery dollars? Well, mine always includes buying an original Dr. Seuss!
 
 
Like so many homes with children (OK, some without too!), Dr. Seuss is a favorite author around here. He was truly an original soul. We even celebrate his birthday like a proper holiday. The festivities begin with green eggs and ham (for the boys) and end with a wonky cake. We read a few favorite books and then watch a movie or two.
 
My favorite Dr. Seuss book is probably The Lorax. When I was pregnant with my first son, I dreamt I bought a copy at a bookstore. In my dream, I held a blond son. At that point in my pregnancy, I had had at least two ultrasounds (due to high-risk issues) and both had assured I was having a girl. Lily. I hadn't even bothered to pick out a male name. Fast forward a few months and out came a blond boy. See, the Lorax knew.
 
Two of my favorite Seussian quotes:
 
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss
 
 
 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR TED!

1 comment:

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

i looooooove his fake taxidermy! when we were at universal studios they had some new ones for sale, it was the only stuff in the park i wanted! but they were too expensive.