Friday, March 29, 2013

Weights

 
You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.”  
~C. Joybell C.
 
Life has been coming on strong (a.k.a My Broken Record), but it is a mixed bagged of change and new opportunity and less traveled roads. I have been preparing myself for new adventures and new discoveries, of late, and I am finding that I tend to hold on to objects like a security blanket. I also tend to forget what I actually hoard. Purging and letting go have been two objectives I have been struggling with for the past couple of years. Actually, I have struggled with these goals for most of my life.
 
The past couple of weeks I have let go of a lot of crap, both physically and mentally. In order to accomplish goals and move on with my life, I had to literally tell my inner voice to stop talking: "I'll have a yard sale this year..." or "I can sell these things on eBay..." or "I'll make this [insert crafty thing] with that..." The thing is I am a busy, busy girl. True Fact. It's way more easy for me to thrift than decorate. Thrift than resell. Thrift than create. Thrift than organize. I absolutely love a treasure hunt. I absolutely despise the burden of the treasure. It really is a forest/trees kind of thing.
 
So, I have been taking boxes of outgrown baby clothes, cheapo books already read/never to be read, unused housewares and modern knick-knacks back to the thrifts. And you know what? I haven't missed any of it. I have also reopened my Etsy store to help lighten the load of vintage I have boxed away in nooks and crannies (and I have been delighted by what I am discovering right inside my homes). I am slowly photographing and listing the items I have decided to let go (or I think will sell). I am telling myself that if they do not leave by X date, then back to the thrifts they go. I am on a self-imposed thrifting hiatus until at least half of my shit is gone (it's hard). Thrifting is a stress buster for me.
 
I am really looking forward to spring. I know it's cliche, but I am full of hope and renewal. I am getting ready to brave the next chapter in my life and it's best that I travel without all these weights tied to my ankles. Let it go.
 
 Linking it up with Sir Thrift-a-Lot, Apron Thrift Girl, Penny Worthy Project, Young Heart and A Living Space.

7 comments:

Tilda E. said...

I have this same dilemma---I refer to myself as a "chronic thrifter". Last summer I decided to do what you did and pare the stuff down. I did a garage sale. When it was over, I still had an entire pick-up full of crap. I took that pick-up full to the thrift store, got a tax receipt, and felt so good!!!I'm still thrifting but with a more judicious eye, and a realization that I don't have limitless room.
In the end, its just "stuff", right?
Happy Spring!

Gina said...

Oh, I love the term "chronic thrifter"!!

Heather@Tatter and Fray said...

Totally a chronic thrifter here, too! And I agree; it's definitely a forest/trees kind of thing. Lately I've been trying to pass up anything that needs any kind of repair, extensive cleaning/polishing, etc. -- because even if I'm capable of said repair, i know I'll never have time. Baby steps. :)

L'Heure Bleue At Home said...

I do love the treasure hunt as well! It's so addictive. But now I'm trying to be more selective as I have a small home and limited space.

Laura said...

HEY GINA!! yeah I found you again! I so love this post--letting it go is so cathartic!

Gina said...

Thanks for the comments!

katie jean said...

I totally understand about over thrifting! I see things that I have to buy because no one else will "ever appreciate it like I do"! I still have things that I collect, but I do try to filter. Plus now that I work, I don't have the time like I used to :)