Saturday, December 31, 2011

And We Didn't Die of Botulism

Tonight the man and I tried the infused cherry vodka I made 04/2010 (or at least this is what the hastily scrawled marker said on the Mason jar lid). I vaguely remember throwing sweet cherries we picked in Michigan into jars and adding 100 proof vodka. A little shaking for a few days and then a long, forgotten ride on a shelf in the basement, Sweet Cherry Vodka was made. I think I was actually suppose to make a syrup after a couple of days of infusion and properly preserve it, but (if I remember correctly I was planning to make a cordial), I begin a long, slow stumble to Louisville and a very hectic life and so many projects were banished into the crevices of a stressed out mind.

So, tonight I strained the cherries out and stared at the gorgeous magenta liquor. I put it in a recycled, clean bourbon bottle. Despite it's aesthetically pleasing appearance, I was scared to try it. I'm not sure why as I have been preserving my own food for years. Man came home, I showed him the cherry vodka and he picked it up and tried it. "Mmm...," he said. Then made himself a drink. I sipped a little and waited to see if the mixture was contaminated. Well, two hours later we are both still here and enjoying our drinks.

2 comments:

Judy T said...

LOL! What could live in 100 proof Vodka?
Have a grand evening and a happy 2012.
Judy

Anonymous said...

Yum! I once thought I had botulism from my salsa. It turned out to be some disease I caught from the kids at school that caused me to be very stiff and sore for about two weeks. Regardless, I quit putting corn in my salsa after that.