Friday, December 23, 2011

Looking to the '12



Time.

I wish I could ask for the gift of time for the holidays. I would pass it around like cookies, I really would!

OK, so I have mentioned a few times I used to keep a "simple living" (kind of), "homesteading" (kind of) blog and, despite giving the blog up, I have kept many of my interest in the area of urban farming (or small scale farming since I eventually bought a small farm and moved out of the city). Since moving to Louisville (part time...ah, who can keep up with all of this!), I have wanted to become active in urban gardening/farming again. I did plant vegetables in the neglected flower beds at my apartment this past year and have had many stimulating conversation with my co-worker about urban farming, but because I was getting used to my job, all the blessed travel, and just re-adjustment of a life, I did not do much beyond this one simple act. Now, all of this is about to change...

First, I joined a grassroots group dedicated to this endeavor and will be attending my first meeting next month. Oh, actually in February, I guess, because, yes, I have to travel for work...again.

Anyway, I also joined a urban gardening group in my blighted home city (the one I moaned about a month or so ago when I learned my property value had nose-dived into the dirt). The group seems to be struggling (from my perspective), but I have offered my help in the form of passing along ideas from the more successful group in Louisville or to provide a blog post now and again. I am excited!

Do any of you belong to a grassroots group dedicated to city revitalization or gardening? I'd love to hear about it! I am so looking forward to spring this year and, once again, getting my fingernails dirty!

4 comments:

Kylie said...

Good on you Gina.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
I hope you have a better year in 2012 x

Gina said...

Thanks, Kylie! I have appreciated your comments and friendship this year! merry Christmas to you and yours and Happy 2012!

Vanessa said...

I adore gardening. I'm a member of a community garden but didn't stop by for nearly a year since I was so damn busy! I want to get back into it next year. If you have any questions, let me know, I've been doing a lot of research on gardening, grassroots movements, etc. :)

My recommendation: GO SLOW. Take it easy, as beginners we like to pile on too much and then we're overrun with dying plants.

Gina said...

Thanks, Van!